Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Gracie Trim 3.03.11

Gracie is a 4.5 year old Andalusian cross mare. She has never been shod, and had her first trim at about 2 years of age. Her feet were good, she grew up in rocky hilly terrain. She was 100% unhandled and wild when my sister got her.

Her feet went to crap when I moved to acreage and took my old TB with me, leaving Gracie on agistment for a further 2 or so weeks. She was due for her 4 weekly trim at that time, and I just didn't get around to it until she moved to the new place too. She was at 6 weeks since her last trim, and she had been showing signs of early laminitic stress on her feet (LOTS of flare). So I have been battling to get her feet back in to good shape for the last 14 months. I had recently realised it was her diet holding her back, and have now cut as much sugars out as I can. Feet are starting to improve now (as is waist line!).

Gracie could have gone another half week or so before she was due, but I err on the side of early now with her. Not much wall height to remove, but plenty of outer wall and especially flare to remove. Some flappy bits of frog etc. taken too. I barely rasped the heels, nothing to tweak there.

Click pictures to see bigger version. (Before on left side of pics)

Right front
Dramatically reduced flare - I think this will grow out in about 3-4 months. Note the event line closest to the coronary band? That is from when my two horses broke through the fencing on NYE and galloped down the road.

Funny how things jump out at you in a photo but not when you are actually looking at the foot? Note left heel/quarter.

Flies!



Left hind


Left heel a little higher before.

Nice bevel if I do say so myself! :P

She has great heels, very tough digital cushions, lovely frogs (very very hard at the moment, the ground has dried up).



And some of me trimming the mare:

Lucky there is no plumber's crack today!

She is not this narrow at all!!

Helping?

No comments:

Post a Comment